Friday, July 16, 2010

Happy Birthday Nate!

For an explanation on this please see item #1


This is Nate, just in case you forgot what he looks like

Well, Nate is thirty-something today, and instead of writing a list of my thirty-something favorite things about him, I am going to write about something so important to our relationship...humor! Nate is probably one of the funniest people I know, and miraculously we both think the same things are funny. This is one of the first things that attracted me to Nate in the first place; whenever we were together we would both end up laughing at something ridiculous that no one else would think was funny. So, even though I know many of you will think I'm retarded, here are my top five favorite funny things that Nate has said over the years:

1. You may be wondering why there is a picture of a fetus on my blog, (I AM NOT PREGNANT!) well it's in reference to our lovely days in our child-birthing class when I was pregnant with Reid. Nate was SO disruptive cracking jokes in that class that I found myself apologizing profusely to our instructor after just about every class. This particular class period she pulled out a picture similar to the one you see above (go ahead and check it out...I'll wait). She turned all of the lights off and we were supposed to be practicing our "breathing." So, everything is quiet and Nate says (in reference to the picture):

"And that, ladies and gentlemen, is why you never let the baby chew gum in the womb."

2. This is an inside joke for us and Nate's family, but when we first met I wasn't really interested in dating him. Anyway, there was a big group of us watching a movie and Nate said something to me, (to this day it is debated what exactly it was he said) and I said; "are you calling me fat?!" to which Nate replied; "well, you don't sweat much for a fat girl!" I was sooooo mad at him, but now we just crack up about it. What a way to win a girl's heart, right?

3. One time we were going to visit some friends of his (a married couple) and they were talking about how she had dated a guy for a long time, and he ended up breaking it off and then she met her husband shortly thereafter and they ended up getting married blah blah blah... to which Nate says;

"Well, they say that the early bird gets the worm, but it's the SECOND mouse that gets the cheese, isn't that right?"

I almost fell out of my chair laughing to hard.

4. We were at the grocery store, and I saw this enormous man get out of a tiny little car.

Me: "Why is it that really large people like to drive little tiny cars? Isn't that just exaggerating their size?"

Nate: "For security"

Me: "What?"

Nate: "Yea. It's like a hug."

Me: laughing hysterically

5. Disclaimer: I am pro-recycling, and do my best to lower our "carbon footprint." with that said, one of my favorite things Nate has said is not exactly environmentally friendly. We were talking with some friends about different environmentalists, and how outspoken they are:

Nate: "You know, they are contaminating the Earth with more carbon dioxide by telling everyone what to do than the back end of my Buick." (we don't really drive a Buick, but it was still funny at the time.)

There you have it! These are all kind of "you had to be there" moments, but I just wanted to share with you all what I get to put up with every day!


Happy birthday, Naters! The boys and I love you and your big mouth!

7 comments:

jordan and maci said...

i think we have a similar sense of humor... such a funny post! happy birthday nate!

JessWilson said...

What a fun post! Happy Birthday Nate, hope it's a great one!

Tif said...

Happy Birthday Nate!

Funny thing, Carly-it's been way too long since Nate and I were really around each other much...and yet I can STILL totally imagine him cracking every single one of those funnies you listed! Timeless humor, I tell you!

Jessica said...

Ha Ha! You both are so funny. I love the bubble gum comment.

reading this post makes me think of the "Coco" books that no one but us found funny. I really need to re-check those out at the library.

Sarah Jarvis said...

Happy Birthday, Nate! Hey, were not you supposed to something about leaving him on his B-day to go do a race? :-) By the way, you did awesome! Great job on your first Olympic triathlon!

Amber & Ammon said...

and he always delivers his "oh so wise comments" in just the right tone... ha ha Happy Birthday Nate!

Mat & Jen said...

Nate cracks me up!! I LOVE this post! Happy Belated Birthday Nate!